THIS BLOG'S TOPICS

Stem cells, Medical Genetics, Clinical and basic research, Cancer and Molecular Biology, Patients' blogs and Useful internet resourses.

PLoS ONE: is this Science 2.0?

Hello everyone, I was surfing through the blogosphere, trying to index this new blog, when I found interesting posts on a possible new therapy for Fulminant Hepatic Failure. The information reported by non specialized blogs is always pretty poor, being usually too sensazionalistic and not informative. So I pursued to check for the primary source, the journal which published that specific paper I was interested in and this is how I was referred to PLosOne.



I will write a brief summary of that paper as soon as I have a free hour, now I would like to concentrate on this new discovery I've made.


PLoS is an open access, peer reviewed, scientific library. This means that everything published in PLoS journals is immediately available online for free. Universities generally pay for institution subscriptions to scientific journals: this is how scientist and physicians get to read the papers. Having otherwise to pay 30$ for a single 8 page-scientific work, cuts out everyone who is outside an institutional network from scientific knowledge.


PLoS features different journals such as PLoS Biology, PLoS Medicine, PLoS Genetics and so on...


PloS ONE is one of these journals. It's central feature is article annotation. Basically, once you've registered for a free account, you can start leaving notes on the scientific paper you have just read and open conversations on that particular subject. This possibility opens really interesting insights such as post publishing feedback and generally a broader divulgation, not only for the adepts.


I have registered my account (StemCellGeek) and I am eagerly looking forward to test this site for that paper I wanted to read on the Fulminant Hepatic Failure. Give it a try!

0 comments: